The MALIBU KAYAKS Mini-X Recreational Kayak is probably the best compact stow-and-go kayak on the market right now. Malibu Kayaks has designed the Mini-X with your comfort in mind, providing a wide 33″ beam for increased stability and storage space.
Quite a few anglers have stated that the Mini-X does not track well, but it is usually the waters they are fishing. The Mini-X is designed for slower moving waters and ponds, where you are protected from large waves and high winds. If you are looking for a pond hopping boat for your local backwaters, or possibly even a beginner paddler, the Mini-X may be perfect for you.
Summary: Lightweight, Compact, Comfortable, Stable, Good Tracking
- Length: 9’3″
- Width: 33.5″
- Weight: 38lbs
- Capacity: 325lbs
- Apex 1 Seat – The Apex-1 seat is incredibly comfortable, and anglers have quite a few good things to say about it, but one thing is certain. You are going to want to install, or cut a set of scupper plugs for the seat scuppers to avoid getting “swamp butt”. It happens with this boat. The scuppers take 5 minutes to make, though, so it doesn’t hurt the boat too much.
- Large Square Center Hatch – Possibly one of the best features on the Malibu Mini-X is the large (1’x1′) square center hatch placed directly between your legs. The storage compartment is waterproof and makes an excellent location for your electronics while you are on the water. This flat surface helps keep your fly line from getting tangled as well!
- Dual 8″ Round Hatches – Your 8″ rear hatch can be easily reached by turning around, while the front hatch will require you to lean forward. The 33″ beam helps keep the boat stable, which makes getting access to both hatches is fairly simple. They are sealed, and unless you keep the boat flipped over for long periods of time, you shouldn’t see water inside the hull.
- (4) Flush Mount Rod Holders – (2) flush mount rod holders installed in the front of the boat are angled towards the sides, providing you excellent trolling capabilities. The (2) rear rod holders keep your rods in a vertical position for both traveling, and trolling.
- Built In Paddle Holder – When you are anchored up, or simply relaxing and enjoying the current, you do not have to deal with your paddle falling into the water. A convenient built-in paddle holder helps protect your investment. Just don’t let convenience sneak up on you, always leash your gear to the boat!
- Easy Carry Handles – With the lightweight of the Malibu Mini-X fishing kayak, along with the comfortable grips on the Easy Carry handles, you do not have to worry about using a kayak cart to move this boat around. Most anglers are able to lift it up over one shoulder with ease.